Welcome to Plant Cover Crops.
This site is dedicated to learning about the value that cover crops bring to production agriculture. Check out the category listings to the right to scan for topics of interest.
If you want to scan the latest blog posts, just click on the “cover crop blog” page link above.
I’ve loaded this site up with a lot of videos. You can check them all out at the covercropdave You Tube channel.
If you want to receive regular updates to my newsletter, fill out the form to the right. I usually write about one per month. Your email is safe with me and I won’t spam you.
So what about cover crops?
Farmers often ask me “why” they should consider planting cover crops after harvest. I have listed a number of reasons below.
- Improve soil health
- Improve yield potential over time
- Improve weed control of winter annuals
- Reduce erosion
- Increase earthworm populations
- Improve soil microbiology
- Build Soil Organic Matter
- Produce and scavenge nutrients
- Help you with manure management
- Provide excellent grazing opportunities
Cover crop roots, along with the additional earthworms:
- Increase soil organic matter
- Increase soil porosity
- Increase soil aeration
- Increase “channels” for future row crop roots to follow
- Reduce compaction
- Increase nutrient recycling